Friday, January 30, 2009

Freezing Banana's -Easy instructions


Yes, you can freeze banana's. Crazy huh? I just recently started doing this and I wish I could of found this out a LONG time ago. This would of saved me a bundle.
Depending on what store you shop at, most the time they will have a area for banana's that have black spots and are usually half price. These I bought today for 39 cents per lb but I have found them for as low as 29 cents per lb. This is a excellent price. So I buy as much as I can, take them home and get a cookie sheet out.
I peel them all, and put the peels in my counter top compost bucket (available at World Market for $14.99).
I break each banana in 3 pieces, and lay on the cookie sheet making sure they don't touch.
Then put in the freezer for a few hours or until frozen completely.
Take out of the freezer and put in a separate zip lock bag.
Put back into the freezer.
These can be frozen for up to 3 months and used in so many things. When you need them, take them out and let thaw out (or put in microwave). What I like about the frozen banana's is you don't have to cut them up into pieces. They are softer than fresh ones and you can just break them up with your wooden spoon. They can be used in muffins (our favorite), puddings, etc. Anything you want that involves banana's.
This method can be used for tons of other produce. Bell peppers, beans, corn, beans, and just about anything you want to freeze before they go bad or you want to last for a long time.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I have that crock pot in red from Marshalls (TJMaxx)!