Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Seasonal dreams




Today I was thinking.  I was trying to come up something to write about just as a Facebook status. After writing a paragraph I looked up and realized I had so much to say about this topic. And here I am. 

Years ago a family was encouraged to grow their own Victory Garden and have 2 chickens per person. It wasn't a choice it was the way you lived.  You grew your food and cooked your meals around what you were able to harvest. Your tomatoes didn't do well then you didn't have tomatoes. Green beans thrived then you had green beans in every meal. What you couldn't use up you would preserve anyway you could. 

Now days you can go to the store and buy anything you want.  These things are often expensive to make up the cost of having to fly in these foods for you to enjoy.  The ecological footprint on these foods would blow your mind. Honestly it's just not for me. 

I look forward to spring because its buying seeds, starting seeds and getting my soil ready. I have dreams about all  the wonderful stuff I get to grow. Summer I look forward to eating green beans and peas while tending my garden.  Fall I look forward to eating a ton of corn and filling my home with pumpkin and squash.  Winter I look forward to soups and hot apple cider.  To me it just wouldn't taste the same if it wasn't eaten when it was harvested.  When I think of hot cider I think of chilly days sitting by the fire with my hot cider.  Who wants hot cider in the summer? Just doesn't seem right! 

Now lets talk about money.  Anytime you buy something not in season just be prepared to pay the cost.  Tomatoes are not in season till the end of summer here in Oregon.  If you want some tomatoes right now it will cost you about $3-$4 a pound.  If you just wait till they are in season you will pay only $1 per pound. Even less if you grow your own!  You want to know how to save money buying groceries? Cook your meals around whats in season. Simple isn't it? No more cooking in a rut.  No more kids getting tired of eating the same old food all the time. Not sure how to cook it? Buy it and make yourself cook with it.  Life is too short not to have fun even with cooking!

This is just something I have always tried to do. It's just a little dream of mine. Having my daughters get excited about what were growing and eating is my goal.  From buying new variety of seeds to trying new produce.  They even want to try each new item raw. Now that is crazy talk!  It just seems that now days parents are having a hard time getting their kids to eat any produce. It saddens me to see this. Too much processed foods and not enough fresh food is a bad path to take. I was lucky enough to grow up eating out of a garden.  Watching all the women in my family can and preserve.  Watching my whole family helping each other with one goal in mind. To grow as much food as possible to feed us all. 

And you know what? 
I'm sure as heck going to do the same for my children. 



2 comments:

Laura said...

Great Post!, I grew up the same way, but kind of got side tracked after I left home.( it was no fun to can and preserve by myself) I am back in now! Hoping for a good garden this year. Fermented veg on the counter and in fridge . Kombucha happily brewing away.. The Raspberry Cranberry is SO good.. The new batch I am trying the Chia Seed, Grape mix.. Guess I don't mind doing it by myself any more and there are so many great bloggers like you out there to keep me company!! Thanks!

Gretchen@HealthfulMama said...

Gosh, I wish I had a green thumb. I would LOVE to have fresh produce in my backyard. Alas, when I'm not good at something (in this case, growing ANYTHING), I lose interest. Come move next door to me? ;)