Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Hooked on Thrifty


Now that school is out I'm sure my children will be bored after a week of hanging out at the house.  Today while I was at Goodwill I found a latch hook kit marked $3.99.  It was old but never even used. So I snatched it up and headed to my local craft store to pick up a hook which doesn't come in these kits. One hook cost $3.49. Best part was it's metal and wood. No plastic! This means it should last forever as long as my daughter doesn't lose it. 

Latch hook kits take time and patience. I remember doing these as a kid and it almost makes me want to get myself one.  I thought I would be able to just show her how to do it but when we set it all up I stood there completely e. I forgot completely how to do it. Oops! So I pulled out my laptop and got on YouTube and found a video that shows how to use it. Within 5 minutes my daughter was up and running. Sweet! 

Investment $7.48
Hours to complete-Who knows ! 

Best part is we are doing our part by not buying anything new. This is just another form of recycling which makes us happy.  It's keeping my daughter busy focusing on something and keeping her relaxed while having fun. This summer I am determined to keep my girls busy and not sitting in front of the boob tube. 

I encourage you all to check out your local thrift store and see if you can find some crafts to keep your kids busy.  Peace

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I just did the same thing ! Found an old goofy rug kit, sans hook. Nut I KNOW there is one here at the house , and I am determined to find it. Will provide hrs of fun!

Surviving and thriving on pennies said...

Yes it will!