Monday, June 2, 2014

DIY Gluten Free Chocolate Cherry Cookies


While shopping at the newly opened Mark's NW Fresh Produce stand I heard my name called.  Mark knows me because I've been shopping there for many years now.  "Hey Nancy I will give you a steal of a deal on cherries if you are interested." Uh lets think here......YES! I expected a great price but he gave them to me for free.  FREE!!!! But I had to tell him what I did with them. So I dragged 2 boxes of almost bad cherries home and processed them.  Dark cherries went into the dehydrator and light cherries cooked in simple syrup and put in mason jars to use in pies later.   So Mark, what do you think? 


 Gluten Free Chocolate Cherry Cookies

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups Gluten Free Flour Blend your choice(I used Gluten Free Mama's Coconut Blend)
3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum (I used plain cornstarch)
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter ( I used dairy free)
1/4 cup shortening (I used Dr.Bronner's coconut oil)
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla (I used cherry juice)
2 eggs
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cherries (dehydrated my own and used them)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In medium bowl mix all dry ingredients.  In another medium bowl mix wet ingredients and sugar.  Mix the two together.  Scoop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes till a little golden on the edge of the cookies.  

Enjoy!

Note: Make this recipe your own by using what you have. You have a different gluten free flour you like then use it.   Any dried fruit or chocolate chips will do.  Not into chocolate? Use nuts! Don't like dried fruit? Just use chocolate chips! Heck just use nuts and its tasty! 

You can find Mama's Gluten Free products at any New Seasons Market.  Not local to me? Go here and find a location near you. As for Marks NW Fresh Produce you can find him every year on the corner of West Union and 185th in Portland Oregon.  Head over to his Facebook page and find out more information.

I also wanted to let you know that Gluten Free Mama is just a brand I like to use and I'm not getting paid any money to write this. In fact I did this on my own because people wanted me to share.  We are not a gluten free family but I enjoy them from time to time.  

5 comments:

Green Bean said...

These look dangerous! :) Pinned.

Lori Popkewitz Alper said...

These look fantastic. My kids would love them.....anything with chocolate chips is a hit!

Unknown said...

Ooh, these look so good. Wonder how they will work at high altitude?

oboyorganic said...

THese look amazing! I will have to give them a try since I've been doing more and more gluten free cooking.

Jen said...

I have never thought about using coconut oil in baking! Great tip.