Friday, April 1, 2011

Helvetia Half Marathon Challenge

Last year I challenged myself by signing up for the Helvetia Half Marathon.  I ran 13 miles in 2 hours and 58 minutes and beat my personal goal of 3 hrs. Not by much but hey I beat it.  I remember visiting my parents after my work out and talking with my dad about all my training.  He was very proud of me.  I did another race called Pints to Pasta 10k in September and had a blast. I now am hooked on these races. A few weeks later I signed up for another race but failed to do it. You see my dad passed away in November and I just couldn't go to the gym because I kept thinking about him. About how proud he was of me. About how much I missed him and how I would miss our conversations.
It's been 4 months since he has passed and I am finally able to work out without breaking out in tears. This year I signed up for the Helvatia Half again and would love for you all to join me.  It's located in Hillsboro/Helvetia Oregon right of highway 26.  You can sign up for the half marathon of 6.5 miles or the full half marathon of 13.5 miles.  Run or walk as long as you cross that finish line.  There is 3 months left to train which is about the time I trained last year.  You may be saying I can't do it. Well i'm here to say your wrong.  I did it and have never ran in any other race in my life. I ran it with friends but mostly by myself.  When I saw the finish line coming up I cried like a baby because I did something for myself for once.  What a feeling it was.

Helvetia Half Marathon
6k or 10 k
Saturday June 11, 2011 8am
Full map here.
You will receive a race shirt on the day of your bag pick up or on the day of the race.
If you finish the half marathon you get a wonderful metal
Race is sponsered by Cliff Bar, Jamba Juice, Portland Running Company, Old Spaghetti Factory, Widmer Brothers, and Kink 101.9. 

Last year when you pick up your race numbers they gave you a bag full of goodies.  Lots of cliff bars, certificate to Old Spaghetti Factory for a free dinner, and lots of coupons. You also get free samples at the end of the race from all the sponsers listed and some surprise ones. Best part of the whole race is you get a free Helvetia Tavern Burger which are out of this world yummy! Yes they have vegetarian options as well!

Please say you will join me!!! Whether your in it for the long haul like myself or just for the fun 5k. Just look how awesome you can be!!!

My friend Angela took this picture at the half way mark.  I think this is where I went crazy...

 Here is my gym bag with all my goodies inside.  Green towel (my favorite color!) is mine from home. Some gyms provide towels but use harsh chemicals to wash them. I prefer my own from home because I know it's safe to use.  Orange micro fiber towel is a goody I found at Goodwill.  I believe it is a adventurers towel because you can snap it onto your bag so you don't lose it. Maybe for hikers? Picked it up at Goodwill Outlet for maybe a quarter! My green bag was a gift from my husband. It was surprise for me before my race last year. I was using a old bag before that the handle broke. Urrr! Sigg water bottle was a Goodwill find for only $1.99. Says "Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle". It's the newer eco lined bottle. Gold ones are the old recalled ones.

I also pack my favorite green products.  Whole Foods everyday 365 line of lavender shampoo/conditioner. The gym does provide soap but I have no idea what brand or what its made of so I just use my shampoo to wash my body with.  Burt's Bee's sunscreen lotion and day lotion which was given to me by my friend Sylvia. Thanks Sylvia!!  Hugo Naturals deodorant is my favorite smelling deodorant you can buy. It's made with rice powder!   I use this because I don't want my homemade deodorant glass container to break.  The small white plastic bottle is filled with Whole Foods everyday 365 line of unscented lotion.  And last but not least Pacifica perfume roll that smells like fig. My favorite!  

I train 3 days a week trying to increase my time each week.  This week i'm training 15 minutes on the uliptical, 15 minutes on the treadmill and 15 minutes on the bike. So far i'm at 6 miles per day. I will be working towards my goal of 13 miles in a day which I was able to do last year.  It's not about how fast you get there but more about pacing yourself and getting there still alive. Well at least to me it is.

 Just remember everyone I started out of shape and achieved my goal. So whose in?

No comments: