Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pie Cookies

When I was a little girl my mother used to make me these cookies.  Growing up I thought they were just cookies that everyone ate.  It wasn't until I was older that I realized we were the only ones eating these. They are super crispy and just a little sweet. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do to this very day.  These are a favorite of my children now. Enjoy!

Simple Instructions:

Your favorite homemade pie crust or store bought pie crust
cinnamon
sugar

Roll out the dough pretty thin just as you would any sugar cookies.  Use your favorite cookie cutters and have fun cutting out shapes.  Put on cookie sheet.  Sprinkle cinnamon (if you make your own you can add it to the dough) and then sprinkle some sugar on top of each cookie.  Bake at 450 degree's until golden brown or about 8 minutes.  Set out to cool and enjoy.

Yields about 2 dozen depending on what size cookie cutters you use.

These can be made for any holiday and you can cut out as much sugar as you want.  I am not a cookie person because they are too sweet for me. These are perfect for those who enjoy a savory cookie.  Add any sprinkles you want.  Anyone ages 2 and up can make these.

Pretty easy huh?  I mean think about everyone. The best part of the pie is the crust! Yummy!!

2 comments:

Lynda said...

These bring back memories. My mom and grandmother made these with the leftover pie dough. I, on the other hand, sprinkle the pie dough with cinnamon sugar, roll it up and then cut into spiral cookies...my kids and grand kids love them!

Joanie said...

I love doing this with pie dough (usually the leftover). We love to top with homemade strawberry jam before baking. YUM! Never thought about sharing this idea with others. Great post!