Tuesday, September 25, 2012

DIY Chai

It's now officially Fall and I am happy beyond words. Fall is my favorite season for a few reasons. Cold chilly mornings, cold chilly evenings, boots, sweaters and anything knitted. Woot! It's also the only time I have anything with cinnamon in it. This way I look forward to it! Chai tea is also something I will only drink during the Fall season. This year I plan on making my own and saving some pennies along the way. I found this recipe on Pinterest and quickly added it to my Falltastic board. A Wooden Nest is the writer and check their blog out when you get the change. Pretty darn cool!  I had so many people ask to share so here it is. Enjoy!

Chai Concentrate

4 1/2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
1 3-inch stick of fresh ginger chopped
7 whole cardamon pods
2 whole star anise pods
10 whole cloves
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp honey

I only changed a few things. I bought all from the bulk section including my tea.  I heated up the water till it was boiling and then tossed in all the other ingredients. Mix until the sugar has disolved.    Once it started boiling again I turned off the heat and let it steep till it was cool.  Your done!

I do a 50/50 mixture with milk. Super delish! Last up to 2 weeks in our fridge. Trust me when I say you will never again pay for chai tea in any coffee shop ever again. Unless your lazy and need a fix! If this is the case please bring your reusable mug!






1 comment:

Anon said...

I didn't see the sugar in the ingredients. . . how much do you add?