Sunday, January 8, 2012

DIY Liquid laundry soap

Supplies

Empty Milk Jug (been using mine for 4 yrs now)
1 box washing soda (retails $3-$4)
1 box borax (retails $3-$4)
Measuring cups
Whisk
Stove
Pan
Large 5 gallon bucket with lid (retails $4-$5 or reuse one from another product). If you have glass it would make it even better!
1 bar of natural soap (fragrance free or scented)
Optional:Essential oils


Step 1
In a medium pan add 6 cups of water.  Heat on medium heat with no boiling.

Step 2
While water is heating up grate about 1/3 your soap bar. 

Step 3
Add your grated soap to the pan of hot water.  Stir till completely dissolved.  Once dissolved turn of heat and set aside.

Step 4
Pour 4 cups of hot water into the large bucket.


Step 5
Add 1/2 cup of borax and 1/2 cup of washing soda into your soap water mixture.  Mix until dissolved.

Step 6
Pour your hot mixture into the bucket.  Mix with a whisk until smooth.



Step 7
Fill your milk jug with hot water and pour into bucket.  Whisk until smooth.


Step 8
Last step is to add 6 more cups of hot water into your bucket.  Again whisk well. This is where you would add your optional essential oils.  Mix well.   DONE!!! This mixture will set up and thicken up.  Every once in a while you can whisk it again to have a smooth consistency. 

1/2 cup liquid for standard washers
1/3 cup for HE washers

Tip:Do not use a bar of soap with lumps.  Oatmeal and lavender sometimes have chunks.  All natural and non natural bars will work.  Add 1/2 cup of oatmeal powder (simply put 1/2 cup oatmeal in blender & blend till a powder) to the mixture at the end of the process and you will not need to use a softener.  Especially good for those with skin allergies. 

Follow instructions or you will end up with lumpy laundry soap.  No fear everyone even lumpy soap works the same.  Make sure you store this with the lid on it so children do not try to play with it.  Could result in drowning or getting sick so BE CAREFUL!!!  have been using this for 4 years with my HE washers. I have had no issues what so ever.    If you wish to use old liquid laundry soap bottles then you need to pour them while the mixture is hot.  Then store in a cold place like your laundry room or garage. 

Disclaimer: This is a recipe that Ive used for a year now with my energy efficient washer and have has no issues with anything. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your washer or clothes. I would test this before using it on your clothing. Again Ive yet to encounter anything at all going wrong with this soap. Use at your own risk. Please call poison control if eaten or gets into eyes.

11 comments:

rebecca said...

Hi... Do you think Dr. Bronners would substitute for bar soap?

Amy Goularte Emrany said...

Hi! In step 4 you say add 4 cups. 4 cups of what? Thanks for this recipe.Can't wait to make it!

Surviving and thriving on pennies said...

Amy Goularte Emrany-Fixed! Thanks for letting me know!

Rebecca-I would use the Dr Bronners bar of soap not the liquid. I have used that in the past and it worked just fine.

Unknown said...

I have been using this recipe for years, and I love it! I make my own soap as well, and I typically use a bar of soap that has passed its "ideal use by" date - or one with a smell I don't like, as you don't notice it in the laundry soap. LOL Thank you for the pictorial - I have shared the link at my blog, Amorphous Eclectic. :)

Thank you!!

dzgrrly said...

Have always found detergents with enzymes work WAY better than those that don't--any suggestion for adding them here, Deanna?

dzgrrly said...

I've always found detergents with enzymes work WAY better than those that don't (remove stains better). Any ideas for utilizing enzymes into this recipe, Deanna?

fragmentaerie said...

@dawnzig
A splash or three of Biokleen Bac-Out would do the trick. I'd just add it to the washer with the soap, rather than putting it in the soap.

pennypincherjz said...

I use Ivory bar soap in my detergent. My wife did the math and it costs us right around $0.97 for a 3 1/2 gallon batch of detergent. Much better than paying $35.91 for the same amount of All Free and Clear. =) And honestly I think it does as good a job if not better.

C.J. said...

How much does the bar soap weigh, please? I plan on using Zote soap. Zote soap bars are HUGE (about the size of a brick), so if I used 1/3 of a bar, it would be considerably more than 1/3 of a more normal sized bar. If I know how much your bar weighs, I can factor how much Zote I need to use. Thanks!

Surviving and thriving on pennies said...

C.J.-The bar of soap I used weighs 8 ounces. I used half the bar which would make it 4 ounces. You can use the whole bar if you really want it just depends on how much you want your soap to smell or not. I like mine smelling good so using half was the perfect amount. HOpe this helps!

Pretty Little Thing said...

Hi there! I was wondering about how many loads you get out of this recipe for comparisons sake? Thanks!