Thursday, February 25, 2010

Evil cold sore beware, super Lysine to the rescue!


Friday morning I put my chap stick on (I am a little obsessed with Burt's Bee's chap stick) and my lip just didn't feel right. Almost like I was getting chapped lips on one spot of my lip. Years ago I was under a ton of stress and ended up getting a really really bad cold sore. I was working 30+ hrs a week nights, my twins were only 3 months old and I was still breastfeeding them, and was just plain stressed out. My little cold sore turned into this monster on my face and it took weeks for it to go away. Amazing just how bad stress can take on your body. Cold sores are the worst because you literally cannot cover it up with make up and no lipstick due to how painful they are. They are just plain evil!

So Friday morning I started to worry if I was getting a cold sore. Saturday morning I knew it was one and started to freak out because of my only one I had before that turned out to be horrible. I found a random sample of cold sore medication I had received in the mail. It tasted disgusting and was oily and plain yucky. So I head up to my local Whole Foods and asked my trusty lady over in the vitamins what she thought would work for a cold sore. On a side note, this lady is amazing. I really should get her name because I feel horrible for not knowing it. Anytime I go in and ask any questions, she has the answers. But back to my story, I had found the chap stick area and there was only one type of cold sore chap stick. It was called Super Lysine.  I asked my trusty friend if this was all they had to fight cold sores the natural way. I followed her down the aisle with thousands of pills and she brought me right over to L-Lysine Caps. First of all I was amazed how she even knew exactly where these were and then I was amazed how she even knew about every one of these thousands of pills. First thought was "I love you." I think I might of even told her that.

L-Lysine Caps
What is this exactly? Well its complicated but I will try to put it into a short explanation.Lysine, or L-lysine, is an essential amino acid. That means it is necessary for human health but the body can't manufacture it; lysine has to be gotten from food. Amino acids like lysine are the building blocks of protein. Lysine is important for proper growth, and it plays an essential role in the production of carnitine, a nutrient responsible for converting fatty acids into energy and helping to lower cholesterol. Lysine appears to help the body absorb calcium, and it plays an important role in the formation of collagen, a substance important for bones and connective tissues including skin, tendon, and cartilage.
Most people get enough lysine in their diet, although athletes, vegans who don't eat beans, and burn patients may need more. Not enough lysine can cause fatigue, nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, agitation, bloodshot eyes, slow growth, anemia, and reproductive disorders. For vegans, legumes (beans, peas, and lentils) are the best sources of lysine.  Some studies have found that taking lysine on a regular basis may help prevent outbreaks of cold sores. 

Dietary Sources:
Foods rich in protein are good sources of lysine. That includes meat (specifically red meat, pork, and poultry), cheese (particularly parmesan), certain fish (such as cod and sardines), nuts, eggs, soybeans (particularly tofu, isolated soy protein, and defatted soybean flour), spirulina, and fenugreek seed. Brewer's yeast, beans and other legumes, and dairy products also contain lysine.

Available Forms:
Lysine is available in tablets, capsules, creams, and liquids, and is usually sold in the L-lysine form. 

Precautions:
Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable health care provider.
Lysine in the diet is considered safe. High doses have caused gallstones and a rise in cholesterol levels in animals.
People with kidney or liver disease should ask their doctor before taking supplemental lysine.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take supplemental lysine without talking to their doctor

Results

That day I started taking the pills and using the chap stick as directed. One pill each night before bed and chap stick reapplied all day long. The chap stick coated my lip completely which allowed me to eat anything I wanted. With the other nasty kind, I had to put it on constantly and it was a super thin layer so it would come off any time I drank or ate. And I would taste the nasty stuff. Yucky! With the L-Lysine chap stick I had none of that. Its a thick chap stick filled with beeswax, vitamin E, L-Lysine, Echinacea extract, Goldenseal Extract, Tea Tree oil, Vitamin A & D,  and much much more. The cap has a hole in it so you can put some string on it to keep it around your neck. I thought that was a great idea. 

Was it worth it? Well the caps cost me $5.99 for 50 500 mg pills. Ive used maybe 7 of them. Worth the money because I can keep them and use them if I get another one. The Lysine chap stick was $6.50 and worth every penny! I was able to eat and drink as usual. In the first few days I kept some baby gum numbing pain gel with me because it was so painful. But the Lysine chap stick helped me out so much! So yes yes yes its so worth it!!!!!  Years ago I would just go and buy any product to help me out with any ailment. Those days are long gone. Its only all natural for myself and my family from now on. Next time you have a ailment, head on over to your local health store and start asking questions. Or try looking it up yourself. 
My favorite website for any ailment is www.earthclinic.com. You can find literally everything on there. I love it! Plus people rate it and tell you if it actually worked or warn you if it didnt. Thousands of people's testimonies. Check it out for yourself.

No comments: