Wednesday, March 27, 2013

DIY Simple Matzo Balls



I've had some amazing matzo ball soup and wanted to try my hand at making my own.
Last year I picked up a old book called The Art of Jewish Cooking by Jennie Grossinger. It's a very old book that's falling apart but it has amazing recipes in it. Here is one I found pretty simple to make.

Knaidlach (Passover)

2 eggs
4 tbsp melted chicken fat ( I used organic olive oil)
1/3 cup cold water
1 tsp salt
1 cup matzo meal (I used matzo crackers that I food processes to meal ) found at Trader Joes for $1.99 a box.

Beat eggs, fat, water and salt together. Stir in the matzo meal, adding just enough to make a stuff batter. Chill 1 hour.
Form into balls and cook for 30 minutes in boiling soup or salted water. Makes about 18.

I used a Tom Tom soup but you could use any simple broth you want. Fresher the ingredients the fresher the taste. Have fun with it!

No comments: