Saturday, January 8, 2011

Homemade Goodness Frugal Fried Rice

This is a staple in my home. It's different each time I make it because I use what we have on hand and what needs to be cooked before it goes bad. My brother's make this WAY better than I do but only because they do not care about how healthy it is or if it's organic or not. My brothers were raised in Guam and this was a staple in their home. Traditionally its made with white rice and regular soy sauce. Sometimes they add spam and other funky things they think are yummy. Canned meat? Um no thanks. But that's what is readily available in Guam so it's what they use. Anyways feel free to add or take out what you want. I would recommend keeping onion in because it adds a really sweet kick to it. Enjoy!

6 cups of cooked rice ( 3 cups white rice 3 cups of water or 3 cups of brown rice 6 cups of water)
Chopped vegetables your choice(2 celery stocks, 2 carrots, 1/2 a onion is what I used)
Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce of your choice.
Eggs(all I had were 2) vegetarian fed/organic or whats on hand
1/4 lb Nitrate free bacon or what you have on hand.No bacon? Use 2 tbsp of bacon drippings if you saved them from another meal.
Pepper to taste.

 Get your rice cooking or put in your rice cooker.  Cook bacon in a large pot, spoon out the cooked bacon when done and set aside. You only need enough bacon drippings to coat the bottom of the pan. Strain out the rest and keep for another time. Can be left on counter at room temperature. You want your bacon to stay crispy so keep it till everything else is done then add it back in. Crack your eggs and mix in a small bowl with a tsp of liquid aminos. Mix  up and toss in the pan. Takes only a minute to cook then set aside with bacon.
Next add any vegetables you want. Saute till all the way done.  Do not overcook because it taste better when it has a bite to it.  Your rice should be done by now so add it to the vegetables, egg and bacon. Mix well.  


Next add in Bragg liquid aminos. Just add a little at a time tasting it occasionally. It's a personal choice so add as much as you want. I use just enough and my husband pours it on. Liquid aminos has way less sodium and is much healthier than soy sauce. It even has less sodium than reduced sodium soy sauce. Check out all the nutritional benefits here. This is the same company that makes my favorite ACV. Both can be found in almost any stores now. It can also be bought in bulk at Whole Foods.


And here is your end result. Yummy fried rice that's very healthy. It is a very filling dinner so you won't have kids asking for food thirty minutes later. Especially if you used brown rice to make it. This makes enough for all 6 of us to eat for dinner. We usually will have a little bit left which sits on my stove until my husband gets hungry after the kids go to bed. Which is good because i'm too lazy to put it away.

Total cost for this meal is about $$1.50. Theresa gave me the organic carrots and organic celery. Eggs were free and the bacon cost me maybe 50 cents. Rice was about $1 I used only a few tablespoons of liquid aminos. Its a very low cost meal that has tons of flavor and endless ways of making it.


Nothing too exciting to write about from today. I did manage to find a free mattress from a friend Liana.  My best friend Dulcimer and I drove to get it which was fun because I had no kids with me. My friend Liana was happy to have more space in her home and my daughter Hailey was happy to get a new mattress with no springs poking through. I was happy because it was free.  I simply posted a my status on Facebook asking if anyone wanted to get rid of a twin mattress that I would take it. Within 2 hours my friend Liana said she had one. You ask and you may receive!

No comments: