Tuesday, February 21, 2012

DIY Bread pudding

This is what I had for breakfast today. Its not pretty but wow does it taste amazing! Plus a great way to use up things in your fridge.  Personally I prefer this over cinnamon rolls. It's that good!

Bread Pudding

2 loaves of bread
You can use up any bread you have. Rolls, buns, etc. Just make sure it's bread with no major flavors such as garlic and what not.  I used bread that I failed in.  I tried to make bread using my bread machine to do the work for me then cook it in the oven.  FAILED!

4 cups of milk
I used coconut milk because it was expiring soon. You could use milk, half n half, or even buttermilk. 

3/4 cup of sugar or less
I used brown sugar because its cheapest option for me. You can use any sugar or sugar substitute you want. You can add as little or as much as you want.  We prefer it slightly sweet.

4 eggs
Or maybe you have a egg substitute? I used organic brown eggs.

1 tsp of cinnamon

1 tbsp of vanilla
You can add any type of flavoring you want. I used my homemade vanilla but anything can be throw in. Banana, cinnamon, or even almond flavoring would be yummy.

Optional: Cinnamon chips, chocolate chips and nuts.

Instructions: Chunk up your bread and toss into a baking dish. Add in your chips if you want any in there.  I used cinnamon chips.   I had so much bread that I had to use 2 containers.  All other ingredients need to be mixed in a separate container and drizzled over the bread.  Let sit for about a minute. 

With your clean hands press down on the bread. Try to make the surface flat. This will make it easier to cut after cooked.  You could leave it as is and have a rustic look to it.  I prefer a bread look so I squish mine down. 

Toss in a 350 degree oven and cook till light brown and crispy on the surface.  Mine took about 30 minutes. 

Yields enough for a large group.  The kids and I have been eating it for a few days now. Yummy!

This brings back memories for me.  It was a favorite of ours as kids and I'm sure my mom loved it too.  This is a really cheap treat and really can stretch your money.  Just remember to use what you have!

P.S.
I'm REALLY into fresh flowers right now. I have been buying flowers lately but will soon not have to.  Here in Portland tulips and dafodils are sprouting up everywhere.  I have so many flowers planted and cannot wait till they start blooming. I use old blue glass mason jars to put my flowers in.   LOVE!!!!


No comments: