Thursday, February 16, 2012

Creamed polenta with white bean, bacon and kale.

I found this recipe online and had to try it out.  The recipe calls for spinach but I substituted with kale.  I had kale growing in my front yard!  Also I added bacon to add some flavor to the dish. So glad I did! Also recipe called for 2 cups of beans but I added 3. I'm feeding a family of 6 so I needed more.  Enjoy!

What you will need
4 cups of water
1 cup of polenta
2 cups of kale
1/2 a medium onion chopped
1 cup nitrate free bacon
3 cups white beans your choice (mine were cooking which is why they are not pictured)
optional:Sour cream

1/2 tsp Anise Seeds
1/4 tsp Thyme
1/4 tsp Rosemary
1/4 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Basil
Optional:Cheese or nutritional yeast. You can get a free sample  here which is what I used.

Polenta
Bring your water to a simmer in a large pot.  Whisk in salt and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.  You can add water if you want it a bit thinner.  I like mine polenta a little thick.

Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the butter, nutritional yeast or cheese, coconut or heavy cream, and taste. Add more salt if needed. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm until ready to serve.


Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the butter, nutritional yeast or cheese, coconut or heavy cream, and taste. Add more salt if needed. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm until ready to serve.




Remove the pot from the heat .  Add your butter and optional items here.  Set aside.


Beans Mixture


Chop up some nitrate free bacon and cook till done.  Remove bacon pieces and set aside till dish is done.  Use your bacon grease to cook your onion till done. If your not using bacon this is where you will add some olive oil to cook your onion.   Toss in your herbs, then your beans and the very last thing you want to add is your kale.  Cook for a few minutes till kale is tender.  Done!


Here is my cost run down


$1.00 organic beans (bought in bulk I cooked)
$1.00 organic lettuce
$1.04 organic polenta (bulk)
.50 nitrate free bacon ($2.99 per lb used very little)
.32 organic onion (used 1/2 lb about)
FREE organic kale from my front yard garden
TOTAL COST=$3.86
That's .64 cents a person!


I didn't add in the cost of my spices because frankly I couldn't remember the prices and I used very little of them. 

No comments: