Remember my charity dinner I attended? We were invited by a friend so it was free to attend. I would of loved to bid on something but they were out of our price range so we just ended up spending time with our friends, ate some lovely dinner and danced the night away. Miss Oregon was there, there were free snacks...and I feel as if I'm forgetting something.... Oh and there was wine. Lots of wine. Since the husband was driving I had a glass or two.....too much. I slept awful and woke up at 6am for my trip very very very tired. So I ate some breakfast and filled my belly with coffee and we were on the go!
1. Saved $7.50 by parking in the neighborhood and not in the city street. Woot!
2. Lunch was just a sausage and only set me back $6.50. Simple but oh so goooooooood!
My not so frugal thing was dinner. We ate at a authentic German place and my dinner and drink set me back $30 after taxes and tip. Yikes! Honestly it was well worth it. Plus I'm going to research and try to learn to make this DIY style! Can't put a price on that!
3. Instead of going out for drinks we picked up this game at a shop for $13 and headed back to our KOA cabin. We will never book a cabin at this particular KOA ever again thank you very much. It wasn't a pleasant expierence and Ive been to many KOA camps in Oregon and Washington. But we made the best of it. We brought some brews from home, a book and played this game. Way cheaper than if we had gone out for drinks.
4. We headed back into town and had breakfast. I ordered banana bread french toast and a huge cup of black coffee. It was SO GOOD! Again I will have to make it DIY style at home. Yummo! We went for a walking hike at Blackbird Island right after breakfast. Free to do and takes about an hour of walking. While we were walking I was working on a photo project I'm doing for my husbands Christmas gift. More details at another time for that. This walk really cleared my brain and completely soothed my soul. It was a much needed break in nature. Oh and FREE!!!!!
5. Spent 2 whole days with my best friend. Thats priceless! The radio didn't get turned on once and we enjoyed our time together. I love my best friend so much and cherish our overnight trips we take a few times a year. She is as frugal as me so our trips are usually fun filled and don't break the bank. Camping, cabins and cheap hotels. We choose to spend our $$ on memories not lodging.
My not so frugal thing is how much I spent on stuff. I picked up a few birthday gifts and a Christmas gift for my girls that totaled $50. Then I wanted to find something that I could always think of my trip every time I saw it. This authentic German made Quartz Cuckoo Clock with Swinging girl for $49 fit the bill. Its flashy enough with the swinging girl to keep my girls fascinated often but doesn't make a cuckoo noise that will drive us nuts. One day I plan to buy a nicer one but this particular one was in my budget.
So as you can see I had a blast on my trip but also kept on budget. In fact I have a little extra money left over so I will put it in my grocery budget. Were cutting back on everything for a little extra $$ for Christmas. Instead of using credit cards to buy things we save money everywhere we can, plan ahead and use cash. We also don't buy a ton of gifts but instead get our girls meaningful things they really want.
A HUGE shoutout to Joslin for all the tips you sent me for my Leavenworth Washington trip. You did a fantastic job of pointing out where to go. THANKS!!!!!