Thursday, July 23, 2009

Frugal Veggie Medley



I know this doesn't save you a bundle but it does help save you some change. Little by little this change add's up to big savings. I priced these 1lb bags of chopped onion and green pepper medley at Winco for $1.68. Buy 1 green pepper for 58 cents plus one onion at 28 cents. Now I only used half my onion so it was actually only 14 cents. My total is 72 cents. I like almost a dollar savings! How about you? Here's how you make your own.


You start with cutting out the seeds from the bell pepper and cutting your onion in half. Once done with that, just cut up into small pieces. Then spread your mixture onto a cookie sheet and into your freezer. Takes about 30 minutes to freeze. Take out of the freezer and the mixture should just crumble off easily with your hands. Put into a freezer safe container and put into your freezer.
This mixture is good for omelette's, sauteed vegetables, chili, or even into your favorite burger's. Lots of possibilities.
Remember, you can add any of your favorite veggies to your taste. I decided on this mixture because peppers are way cheap right now. I love the fresh taste it gives any meal I'm making. I also do this with items from my garden. Currently I'm picking green beans and snow pea's from my garden, blanching them in water, laying them on a cookie sheet to freeze, and putting in a freezer safe container for later use. Last year I canned and thought I would freeze them this year. When corn is in season, I'm going to try my hand at freezing my own. We will see how that goes.

No comments: