Monday, September 28, 2009

Homemade Goodness "Secret Pumpkin Muffins"


Okay, I know. I already posted a pumpkin muffin recipe a few weeks ago. Yes those were super yummy but to be honest, they were a runner up. My all time favorite pumpkin muffin is this recipe. I call them secret because I only give this recipe out to my best of friends. I was thinking about it and realized that you are my best friends. You read my every day thoughts, you try all my recipe's, and you obviously think like me or you would not be reading it everyday. lol.
So here's the deal. Now that you have this amazing recipe, you must only share it with your closest friends and family. The people who you love and trust most. And tell them the same thing. They can only give it to the people they love the most. And so on and so on. Okay, so here we go.

Secret Pumpkin Muffins

1 cup sugar (I use 1/2 c sugar 1/2 c brown sugar)
4 Large eggs (medium will do just fine too)
2 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin Puree (can use canned but I do not recommend it )
Not sure how to make pumpkin puree? I will give directions
2 cups shredded carrot (sneak veggies in where you can)
2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup of olive oil (can use veggie oil)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp ground flax seed

Mix pumpkin, sugar, eggs, carrot, and oil in a large glass bowl. In separate bowl mix both flours, baking soda, salt, flax seed and cinnamon. Add the two bowls together and mix till blended.
350 degree's and cook till you poke a fork in it and it comes out clean. 10-12 minutes.

Note: You can find unbleached muffin papers for around $1.25 at Whole Foods. Or so you do not cut any tree's down and like them rustic, just grease up the pan and cook without paper's.

Pumpkin Puree

Pick your favorite pumpkin and clean it. Cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Save them for next years garden simply by taking the seeds and let them dry on a brown paper bag or newspaper. Once dry (a few days) put in a paper envelope and label it. Once your done scooping seeds and stuff out (put in your compost silly), spray some olive oil around the cut edge so it wont stick to your pan. Lay flat on the sheet and put in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Poke with a fork and it should be soft. Take out and let completely cool. Scoop away!
Note: Any left over? Try your hand to make a pumpkin soup? Maybe put it in the freezer for later use? Maybe make a pasta sauce with it? Or maybe use it for a facial mask? Endless possibilities. Crazy thought, how about just eat it?

Wanna know another secret? You can use squash in any pumpkin recipe. The above picture is a squash called "Golden Nugget". This is what I used tonight in my secret pumpkin muffins. So think outside the box and get creative. But most of all, have fun with it!

No comments: