Thursday, September 23, 2010

Nice pumpkins!

Why thank you. They are pretty nice don't ya think? I love blue pumpkins. I love the color and most of all the texture of the pumpkin puree they give me. Sure you can go buy cans of pumpkin puree and just use that to make baked goods. I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dog. Just sayin... It just doesn't compare to the real deal.
Making pumpkin puree is super easy and it freezes very good.

Making pumpkin puree

1.  Turn oven on 350 degrees.  Find he pumpkin you want to bake. Look for pumpkins that bake well and have a smooth consistency.  Most have a sticker on them which helps finding the right one. I love the blue pumpkins because they have a rich, creamy, and thick consistency. Regular pumpkins are too watery  in my opinion.

2.  Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop the seeds out with a large spoon. I take the seeds and lay out to dry. These can be used to grow them next year. Make sure they are completely dried and put in a paper envelope. They will mold if they are not ready.

3.  Spray the pumpkin flesh (flesh that will touch the pan) with olive oil.  Lay the pumpkin flesh side down.

4. Put in the oven as is and not covered. Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour. Pumpkin will be done when you poke it with a fork and its soft.

5. Once done take out and let cool. Scoop out insides and put in freezer safe container. No need to blend because when you bake it, its super soft and 100% puree. DONE!
Just look at the color of this stuff. This is how pumpkin puree is suppose to look like. Now tell me. Are you going to keep buying that stuff called pumpkin puree in a can or use the real deal? Uh huh....that's what I thought.

Now that you know how to make pumpkin puree, try two of my favorite recipe's out.


Pumpkin Breakfast Muffins

2 cups of pumpkin puree
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of water
4 eggs
2 cups of flour
1 cup of oats
2 tbsp ground flax seed
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of cinnamon

Mix all wet ingredients together. In separate bowl mix all dry ingredients. Then mix all wet with dry ingredients. Pour batter into muffin papers and bake 375 degrees until golden brown. About 10 minutes.



Pumpkin Bread/Muffins

3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar
2 cups pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup olive oil

Mix all wet ingredients together. In separate bowl mix all dry ingredients. Then mix all wet with dry ingredients. Pour batter into muffin papers and bake 375 degrees until golden brown. About 10 minutes.

You may add more or no cinnamon that you want. I like cinnamon but very little of it in my pumpkin recipes.  Chocolate chips would make any kids mouth water.

Welcome to Fall!
If you have any recipes you would like to share involving pumpkin puree, go ahead and leave a comment. I'm always on the hunt for new ones!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Gorgeous pumpkins! I haven't bought pumpkin in a can in years! I buy pumpkins at the local Farmer's Market or I grow my own, and I couldn't agree more that canned is nothing like fresh. My favorite pumpkin recipe is canned pumpkin bread. It's our "fast food" :).