Thursday, September 25, 2008

PLASTIC save money, stop putting chemicals into your body and landfills

Recently ive stopped using plastic ziplock bags. You dont really think about how many bags you use when you pack your childrens lunch's. I have to pack 2 lunch's per day. Usually there are 3 per lunch. Thats 6 per day, 30 per week, 120 per month, and 1,440 per year. Everyone of these end up in a landfill. That made me sick to think that JUST my family puts that many in a landfill to sit for thousands of years. So here's what ive started doing.

Use reusable plastic containers. Remember my Tupperware addiction? Yeah! I can use them. So I pack everything in reusable containers now.

Recently ive discovered that any plastic with the number 7 on the bottom has possible chemicals(bpa) slowly leaking into your food or drink over years. There has been recent research to follow up these claims as well. So I dug out our reusable plastic gerber juice containers that we use everyday for their juice and guess what? Yep, #7. I felt sick again. So I tossed those out. Im on the hunt for differant juice containers now. For now we are using small disposable water containers I recently was able to get free. These are #1 which is okay for a while but easily holds bacteria and smells. So they will due until I get something better. They say #2 is the safest plastic.
HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR PLASTIC BOTTLES AND CONTAINERS?

http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_plastics/bin.asp?CID=1102&DID=4645&DOC=FILE.PDF
This is a link to information about each number you find on the bottom of plastic

No comments: