Monday, September 22, 2008

Versatile Mexican Rice Dish

For those who know me, I try to stretch my money as far as it will go. I try to make meals that will be enough to feed all 6 of us, and a few lunch's for my husband. Well this meal (recipe below) is really filling, healthy, and usually will have left overs for my husband to take to work for a few days. This can be eaten many ways. Usually when we get paid, we will eat this in tortilla's with veggies to top. But when money is tight, its eaten alone with cheese on top. Sometimes over lettuce as a Mexican salad or even topped with broken or stale tortilla chips I've saved up. You can even use it with chicken broth to make a Mexican soup.

Mexican Rice Dish (main)
3 cups of brown rice (can use white but doesn't keep you full as much)
1/2 ground turkey (you can use any meat)
2 cups pinto beans( you can use any bean)
2 cups frozen bell pepper mix with onion (you can use fresh but its more expensive & honestly doesn't taste as good)
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp of chili pepper
1 tbsp of ground cumin
1 tbsp of paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water

Cook rice accordingly. I use a rice cooker so while its cooking I cook up the meat etc. Brown ground meat and set aside. Cook bell pepper mix and garlic. Throw your meat back in and add spices with water. Stir up and wait for rice to finish cooking.
Once finished add rice to your meat veggies mix. Let cook until juice's are gone and absorbed into rice.
This meal goes a long way. My kids LOVE this and would eat it everyday if I let them.

No comments: