Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Decorating on the cheap Part two

How cool is this red shelf?  When I found this shelf it was beige, super dirty and dusty. I paid $5 for this from my local Goodwill Outlet. The reason I bought it was because it was metal and had such a cool shape to it. I had no idea where it was put originally but wanted to add a cool piece to my kitchen and the red would make it pop out.  We sanded it down and spray painted it red. I stole some spray paint from my husbands garage stash of paints.  So its been in my kitchen (several houses though) ever since. One day I was looking at retro kitchen pictures and I about fell out of my chair. Early in the 50's metal kitchen cabinets were so in and this was from one of those kitchens!  How cool is that! So this shelf holds all my cooking books, reusable sandwich bags, metal tins full of beans, homemade framed art work and also things i'm saving up to do more art work with. One mason jar of corks and one full of beer caps.

Total cost for this project=$5
Total if you bought it new=Priceless because you might not ever find it!

Now this piece I can give my husband credit for. A co worker who lives down the street asked if we could use a corner shelf. My husband knows I will take almost anything for free so he said yes. One day we came home to find this piece unpainted and on our front porch. We had some left over paint from painting our house so we used that to paint it. It goes in our kitchen art room. Yes you read that right. We have a old home with a kitchen dining area and a formal dining room. We use the kitchen one for our kids art room. The art on the walls are all from our kids. I also want to mention the fact that I worked at a art store for 10 years. This is just a small portion of art supplies that we own. I have a 6 drawer dresser in this room as well that I found on the side of the road. I cleaned it up, spray painted it and it holds all the other art supplies we have.

Total for this project=FREE!!
Total you would pay for this new=$60-$100

No comments: