Friday, August 27, 2010

Green Review Deodorant

As most of you know, I did a half marathon back in June. While training for the half marathon you can imagine how many times I went to the gym and worked up a sweat. I'm not a fan of sweating and usually try to avoid it. You see it makes me want to puke. I'm weird, what can I say? Over the last few months I have been looking for a good all natural deodorant to keep me from smelling. After 2 months of training I finally got over being scared to sweat. Suck it up sally! So I did.
I headed on over to my local Whole Foods store and looked for a economical and all natural choice of deodorant. I only ended up trying 3 products before finding my favorite. Luckily my kids get to use the ones that I was not able to use. And just maybe you can find my trial and error helpful to you.
First up is Nature's Gate Organics Fruit Blend Deodorant.  At $3.99 for 1.7 oz it was a good deal and smelt pretty good.  This particular scent is Asian Pear and Red Tea.  Stick is clear in color.

-Paraben-free
-No Propylene Glycol
-No Aluminum Chlorohydrate
-Baking soda to help with odors
-Gentle
-Hypo-allergic

My review:This stuff sucked when it came to actually preventing odors from an adult. Yes it was affordable and smelt good. But if you sweat at all or are active, this is not your deodorant. But I will say that its good for any child. My 9 yr old loves this stuff and luckily for me she has not developed her arm pit glands yet. If you have a child who has gone through that stage in life, you know what I mean. So good for kids but not adults.


Second up is The Crystal  body deodorant roll-on.  Again it cost around $3.99 for 2.25 oz so it won't break the bank. My thinking was that since the stick didn't work, maybe I will try a roll on. Crystal Body Deodorant is made of natural mineral salts which prevent body odor by creating an invisible protective barrier against odor-causing bacteria. Its non-sticky, non-staining, leaves no white residue and can be used by both men and women.  Safe for the environment and endorsed by Cancer Treatment Centers. Clear in color.

My review:I was happy to get a little more for my money this time. I will say that it did help with odors. I had no smell what so ever. But.....my skin didn't react very well with it. Apparently my arm pits do not like liquid deodorant.  I broke out in a rash anytime I had a hard work out. Could be from the friction or maybe from the salt?? This one went to my 12 yr old who plays soccer and has no reaction to liquid deodorant.  She likes it because it has no scent at all.

Last but not least I tried Hugo Naturals Dual-action formula. At $8.99 for 1.5 oz it wasn't very affordable.  I was desperate to find something that worked so I found my pal Beth at Whole Foods and asked her what her best selling deodorant was. Since she runs marathons and other races, she would know which is best. She recommended this brand because it was her top seller. So I bit the bullet and bought it. The scent I bought is Mexican Lime & Bergamot.

They formulated their deodorant with powerful anti-microbial ingredients that help stop odor causing bacteria, while leaving out propylene glycol, alcohol and aluminum.  Gentle yet effective, their rich deodorant contain rice powder to help absorb perspiration.  Non irritating. Non staining.  Crafted from cruelty-free ingredients. Always free of artificial fragrances, artificial colors, parabens, petroleum products and animal fats.  White in color.

My review: Whahooooo! I wanted to scream for joy the first time I tried this at the gym. It not only stopped smell but it helped stop my under arm sweat. I had no white residue at all and only had to apply it once that day.  I love love the scent of this stuff.  If you can believe this, it smells like Skittles. Weird huh? I will take Skittles any day over B O.  So from now on this is what I will be using. I will just have to budget in the $8.99 and accept it.

My apology to anyone near me before finding my deodorant. No humans were hurt in the making of this review.








1 comment:

Betsy Escandon said...

I've been using Tom's for a while now, but it's more deoderant, not anti-perspirant. I'm not a huge sweater myself, so this has never been a big issue for me. But my husband insists on holding onto his Speed Stick. Maybe I can convert him to one of the Hugo ones!