Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Much needed "me" time part 2

Te he he. "The Magic is in the hole". Am I the only sick one here? I laughed my butt off when I read this and of course I had to take a picture. Many people have talked about how amazing Voo Doo Doughnut was. My opinion....Ehh its okay. Very over rated if you ask me. I do admit that they have strange things on top of their doughnuts but the fact is the doughnuts underneath all that stuff are just that. Doughnuts. Waiting in line for 20 minutes in a non air conditioned building was not the way I wanted to spend my Saturday morning. Although I did notice all the cool retro details in the building. Everything was original in their building and I loved it all except the dirty floor which i'm not sure they have swept in a few days. I had to stop looking because it was grossing me out. I kept thinking.."yummy doughnuts soon..."
Ha ha ha. Moving parts! Oh my goodness. Sitting in my car scarfing down my doughnuts I noticed these crazy signs on the side of this building. I have no idea what type of store it is  but the signs were cracking me up.
So on our drive to Alberta Street in Portland we were taking pictures of gardens/front yards so I can get idea's for my own home. I am amazed how many homes are so beautifully restored and modernized. I loved just about every single house I saw. I pulled over countless times to take a picture or two. One time I pulled over, took a picture and was talking to my best friend Dulbs about something when I noticed this dog strolling up the sidewalk. Do you notice anything? How about the fact that this dog has only 3 legs? This dog strolled down the sidewalk completely ignoring us and fixated on smelling every tree it could find. What a cool dog.

Yeah only in Portland would you find this. Not sure what was going on but I do know the little ones had confused looks on their faces. I was opposite. Go on with your bad self! Wish I had that sort of self esteem.
I was so happy to see this along Alberta Street.  Even with just a little bit of soil, you can make ugly spots pretty. What a beautiful sidewalk this is. I love when people take the time to make their property pretty even when you see they have very little soil/space. Very cool.
Now last but not least look what I found on my stroll to my car. Just imagine this weeded, watered and in full glory. What a cool idea this is. Why buy cookie cutter border wire when you can do this? And if you love bikes, bonus!   This is why I love Portland so much. Your always surprised and there is always something new to check out. Its amazing how many people do upcycling landscaping.

Now go check Surviving and thriving on pennies on Facebook. There are a few freebies, some good reads and a really cool blog I want to introduce you to.

Peace out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for you! Glad that you are making time for yourself. I'm trying to learn how to do this.

I start back to my regular work next week after being on mat leave since January and am not sure how I will juggle everything.'

Your blog is giving me lots of great ideas.

Surviving and thriving on pennies said...

Yeah for me! (happy dance as I say this).
Thanks, I hope I give people lots of idea's. I am exactly the same way. I love researching and finding cool blogs out there. I get inspiration from them every single day.
I heart blogs!