Thursday, April 22, 2010

How do you score? Mine was 24/25 Whahoo!

PlanetGreen has a great post today(thanks Beth for bringing this to my attention) that I had to compare with all of you. They came up with a list of 25 wasteful things you CAN live without. I thought I would score myself and see what you guys scored. Leave a comment with your score!
Here we go:


25 Wasteful Things You Can Live Without:

  1. Plastic wrap -- Instead, use a container with a lid. Check!
  2. Tin foil -- Use an oven-safe pot or dish with a lid. Check!
  3. Disposable cleaning cloths, dusters, etc. -- Use a microfiber cloth that can be washed. Check!
  4. Paper towels -- Use a tea towel, instead. Check!
  5. Disposable pens -- Buy a good pen that only needs the ink well changed. Ah poo! 
  6. Paper plates -- Washing dishes may be an effort, but it's worth it. Check!
  7. Plastic cutlery -- Use the metal stuff. Check!
  8. Disposable razors -- Invest in a razor that only needs the blades changed. Check!
  9. Packaged fruits and vegetables -- Produce does not need to be packaged. Check!
  10. Individually wrapped snacks -- Snacks travel better anyway in a hard container. Check! Although we have purchased them for when we travel...so a little poo!
  11. Juice boxes -- Put juice in a reusable container (not plastic). Check!
  12. Electric pencil sharpeners -- Use the hand-crank version of days gone by. Check!
  13. Disposable diapers -- Cloth diapers aren't that much more difficult to use. Check! My girls are older so no use for those.
  14. Disposable cloths -- Fabric cloths can be washed regularly to avoid bacterial or viral build-up. Check!
  15. Paper or plastic single-use grocery bags -- Get a few reusable bags. Check!
  16. Bottled water -- Install a water filter on your tap or pick up a water jug with a filter. Check!
  17. Non-rechargeable batteries -- Make the investment for rechargeable batteries and you'll save money in the long run. Check!
  18. Electric can openers -- Use a little muscle. Check!
  19. Single-serving pudding or yogurt cups -- Buy a large container of yogurt or make your own pudding, and send it in a reusable container. Check!
  20. Plastic cups -- Stick to reusable cups. Check!
  21. Disposable table cloths -- Spills are a reality of life; just clean them up as they happen. Check! We own fabric ones.
  22. Antibacterial wipes -- If you must, use a gel hand sanitizer. Check! We use good old soap bar's. 
  23. Facial tissues -- Unless you have a bad cold, a handkerchief will work just fine. Check!
  24. Paper billing -- Switch to e-billing for your bank statement, credit card bill, utility bill, etc.  Check! Anytime there is that option we choose it. 
  25. Plasticized sticky notes -- Use the original paper sticky notes; they can be recycled when you're done with them. Check! We do not use them so double check!  

6 comments:

swiggett said...

Only about 15. Because I don't alway use re-usable products, I didn't count things like the cup. And my husband still prefers plastic water bottles, and individual cups of yogurt. I'm counting him with me b/c our buying power is combined. I guess my "extra-credit" is that I re-use disposable objects, and don't use disposable menstrual products (go Diva Cup!).

Thanks for posting the list. I hope to kick some of these disposable habits!

Surviving and thriving on pennies said...

Swiggett- its a start. Your doing great!

Anonymous said...

I missed three of them - cloth diapers (because I'm in an apartment), reusable pen, and hankies.

Bronwen said...

We did it!!! 23 points! AND we use family cloths and
I have a menstrual cup as well!!!! I love extra credit points.

Surviving and thriving on pennies said...

Wow, so excited you all had such high scores. This means there is hope for everyone!

Monica Eve said...

Great list! I scored 20/25. Not bad...room for improvement.

I kid you not when I tell you that I have had the same writing pen for six years! It is practically a permanent fixture in my life - I love it. I simply refill the ink cartridge from time to time.

-Monica Erskine
Endangered Species Chocolate