Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY Natural Cough Syrup

Since I was on a roll with sharing I thought I would show you how I make my own cough syrup. Ive been doing this for 2 years and have yet to force my kids to take it. They actually really enjoy this. Plus its easy for me to make because I keep these items in my kitchen all the time.

Things you will need:
Honey -buy local honey
Vegetable Glycerine-found at most natural stores
Echinacea Liquid Glycerite-found in most all natural stores
Cayenne Pepper
Liquid Anise-found in the baking section

There really is no science to this. I took a small mason jar and filled it half way with vegetable glycerine. Then I poured honey in and left a little room for the other ingredients. Then I added about 2 tsp of anise, 4 squirts of liquid echinacea  and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. If there is any room left over in the mason jar then I might add a couple teaspoons of water. That's optional. You can add as much or as little of the anise. My kids are not a fan of the taste so I only add a little.

Directions-Simply take a teaspoon of this anytime you get a nasty cough.



Okay now that you know how to make it, here is why I will only give this homemade kind to my kids.

-Echinecea is well known for its anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-flammatory properties.
Unlike herb capsules and tablets, Liquid Herbal Extracts are readily absorbed, digested, and assimilated by the body to assure the herb's optimal therapeutic benefit.

-Honey-There are lots of health benefits to honey. My kids love the flavor but I love that it coats the throat and pretty much stops the coughing.

-Vegetable Glycerine is a compound that comes from vegetable oil, usually palm or coconut. It has strong humectant properties, meaning it is able to retain moisture. It is clear, colorless and very sweet. This is all good things for cough syrup.

Anise-Is known for giving relief for pain.

Cayenne Pepper-Helps calm the cough. Not sure how it works but darn is does. Use a little at a time. Better to have a little than too much. Lesson learned!

No comments: