Thursday, January 28, 2010

Homemade Goodness *Almond Milk*


Almond milk is usually about $2-$3 to buy in the grocery store. We recently discovered that one of my 5 yr old twins was lactose intolerant and were trying out different alternatives to milk. She really did not like the taste of soy, hemp was way too expensive, and rice she only liked when it was flavored with vanilla. So we ended up just buying mostly almond milk. After her getting used to drinking it, I decided to try my hand at making it myself. I am so glad I did. There are several recipe's out there but I decided to give you the basic one and you can alter it however you want.

Almond Milk
1 cup of almonds
3 1/2 cups of water
Fabric Jam bag -found in the canning aisle. Look for one with drawstring
Glass container( I use a mason jar)
Blender
Strainer
Large bowl or large glass measuring cup(one that holds 3 1/2 cups of water)

1.  Start by soaking your almonds in water overnight.
2.  Next morning drain out water and set aside.
3. Add 3 1/2 cups of water to blender
4. Blend the snot out of it. I would say maybe 2-3 minutes on high.
5. While blending get your bowl
6. Set strainer inside bowl
7. Put fabric jam bag inside strainer
8. Once blending is done pour all the mixture into fabric jam bag slowly.
9.  Pull drawstrings shut and wring out all the milk.
10. Remove strainer and pour milk into your mason jar
11. Refrigerate-keeps good for up to 1 week.

Now that my daughter cannot have cow's milk, I substitute all milk in my recipes with this almond milk and it taste exactly the same as milk. If its too creamy for you, just add 4 cups of water instead of 3 1/2. Like vanilla almond milk? Add 1 tsp of vanilla and 2 tbsp of honey.

BONUS-Keep the almond meal left over from making your milk. It can freeze for up to 3 months. I use the almond meal when I make my own bread and its super yummy when you use it with flour and pan fry fish. Mmmmm. Just don't throw it away, get creative with it. Almond has lots of protein and has tons of flavor!

No comments: