Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Homemade Goodness *Basic Granola*

I'm so excited that I can make my own granola now. My husband is a big granola fan and goes through it so fast. I was buying granola for $1.53 per lb at Winco but not no more. I found a recipe that is so yummy and you can add anything you want to it. Plus its super easy to make which makes my life easier. Another bonus is that it cost me about $1 per lb to make it myself.

Basic Granola

3 cups oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup of honey
6 tbsp melted butter
Optional:nuts,flax seed, dried fruit, etc.

Melt the butter and put into a bowl. Add brown sugar and honey then stir. Add oats and mix well. This is when you would add any nuts you wanted. My favorite is almonds and ground flax seed. Pour into a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil. I have a aluminum cookie sheet so I don't need to add foil. Put in oven for 10 minutes, take out and stir. If you wanted to add dried fruit, this is when you add it. Put back in for another 10 minutes. The longer you leave it in, the more crunchy it is. Take out and let cool for 10 minutes or so. Scoop out and your done.

This can be used as granola cereal as is. If you want to make trail mix just add small chocolate chips, and maybe some dried fruit. You basically can add anything you want to this recipe. Sometimes I add a cup of rice krispies, or sometimes I add 1 tsp of vanilla. It depends on my mood and what we have in the house. If you want to cut down on sugar, just add another cup of granola. Have fun with it and let the kids help you.

No comments: