Tuesday, November 4, 2008

As I promised...

I posted about ways of saving money by cutting back on meat, promising that I would post the recipe's. We usually eat meatless dinners about 2 times a week. Here are two recipe's that help me do this. Muffins are made for breakfast, snacks, or even treats. You can alter this recipe how ever you want. You dont have whole wheat flour, use regular flour. No powdered milk, use regular milk.

WHOLE WHEAT PLAIN EASY MUFFINS

Preheat oven 350 degree's

1/4 Cup Oil
1 Medium Egg
1 Cup Milk (1/3 powder milk to 1 cup water)
1/4-1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Baking Powder
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
3 tbsp Whole Flax Seed
Bake until golden brown and poke a fork in it. If comes out clean, they are done. If not, bake a few more minutes. Usually only takes about 10 minutes or so.


Options:
Breakfast muffina-I throw in scrambled eggs and bacon pieces. Just dont add the sugar and add some bran. Or I will just add 1 cup of my kids favorite cereal. Sprinkle granola over the top and then bake.

Snacks-I will add chopped up dried fruit or nuts.

Treats-I will usually add 1/2 cup of small chocolate chips. My kids just love this one.

WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES

I use my plug in griddle when making these. You can make about 4 at one time this way.

3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
5 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Oil (vegetable or olive oil can be used)
3 Cups Milk (powdered can be used too)
4 Eggs
3 tbsp Whole Flax Seed

Options:Instead of keeping banana's on hand to use in this recipe, I use banana oil. Can be found in the spice aisle with the baking stuff and spices. Use 2 tsp with 2 tsp sugar along with this recipe. Also almond oil, cherry, vanilla, or just about anything could be added. Sometimes we add orange zest or lemon zest to change things up.

If you are worried about the flax seed and if your kids are gonna eat it. Dont! When the flax seed is wet, its kinda like watermelon seeds. Slippery so the kids dont even taste them or feel them. You can get golden flax seed and they wont even see it. My kids are used to flax and actually love it.

No comments: