Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February Food Budget $295.39 and other ramblings

Hello hippies!!!!!
I was gone in Washington for a few days which is why you have not heard from me in a while.  That's my daughter rocking the soccer field.  I froze my butt off the whole time. I wasn't prepared for the crazy wind so I quickly invested in a pair of thermals.  Didn't wanna spend the $30 at all but once I was back out in the elements I was quickly glad I did. Were talking 30-40 mph wind with 50 mph gust. 

I did need a few things when I came home.  My husband made do with what we had but used up a few things.

WHOLE FOODS

$4.99 Organic Sugar
$1.49 Sunshine Dairy Half n Half
$1.99 Veg Fed Free Range Eggs
$1.43 Organic Asparagus ($1.49 per lb SALE!!!!)
$3.69 Lemonaise (trying something new)

Total minus bag credit-$13.59

NOT PICTURED

My friend Tanya needed me to go in on some sale oranges and honey from Azure Standard.  Long story short the oranges were not all good so they discounted them for us. Here is what I bought.

4-5 lbs of oranges
1 large mason jar of honey

Total-$11

My February budget is larger than last month for a few reasons.  I purchased a lot of meat last week and this week oranges and honey which I didn't need.  These were at such a great price and will save me money in the long run.  Oranges stay fresh in the fridge for a few weeks and I will not need to buy any fruit for a while.  Honey will be put to good use because its cold season.  We drink a ton of hot tea with honey. 


Remember the cheese slicer of mine that broke? Well I went into the store which I bought it and asked about if they can fix it.  They gave me a funny look but said no.  They no longer carried the one I had bought all those years ago but did have a new adjustable one with a wire replacement you can also purchase.  I decided to wait and look around. Boy and I glad I did. I found a similar one for only .99 cents at Goodwill.  Also found a small tong set from the 50's and is way better than my cheap metal (all rusty!) one I already have.  It was also .99 cents.  Woot!!!
What can I say, I am a sucker for natural baskets.  I found this really large beauty also at Goodwill for only $2.99.  I will use this basket to bring in the produce from the garden.  Who knows maybe even for a picnic one of these days.  Seriously in love with this!
Speaking of love, just look at Megan.  The chickens are free ranging in the backyard and she is loving it.  The gals are too big to put on her shoulder and she quickly realized it.  Chickens keep my kids busy which makes me happy.

And speaking of happy. Just look at them! They are getting so big.  I do believe Jenny (the light colored one) is the top of the pecking order.  She doesn't like to be picked up but is great once you do pick her up.   My dog doesn't get her warning calls but she gets a big peck to the face!

Another thing that makes me happy is gardening.  I planted the following today in my greenhouse.

Tomatoes:Italian Roma,Black Krim, Beefsteak, Cherokee Purple, Tomatillo, Yellow Pear, Green Zebra and Brandywine.

Yellow Straightneck

Spinach

Kale

Sweet Mammoth Basil

Sunburst Hybrid Patty Pan

Pak Choi

Chef's Blend Cauliflower

Lemon Cucumber

Brussels Sprouts

Cabbage

Echinacea

Parsley

Jalapeno

Stevia

Chamomile (from last years harvest)

Cilantro

No comments: