Friday, April 10, 2009

Homemade Goodness *Brown Sugar Syrup*

Homemade Brown Sugar Syrup

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp butter

Put both sugars  and butter into a medium size pot, add water and stir until sugar is disolved. Bring mixture to a rolling boil and boil for 10 minutes. Do not stir while you are cooking it, it will bubble up like crazy. If  it starts to bubble too much, lower the heat. Must be watched at all times. Once 10  minutes are done, turn off heat and let set until all cooled down. 
I put my syrup into a old syrup container I had but you could use any container with a spout. This will fit into a standard size syrup bottle. Regridgerate  once done. 

I sorta made this recipe up myself. Ive seen many other recipes but they consist of maple flavoring or butter flavoring. They also want molasas which I dont buy. These can be pricey so I came up with this one. My kids just love it. They dont miss the maple flavor. I think this will cost you about 50 cents to make if you buy your sugar from the bulk section.  You can make this organic too, just use organic sugar which is also found in the bulk section. Might cost you about $1 to make. Beats the heck out of paying $5 for organic kind from the store. 

No comments: