Sunday, January 22, 2012

DIY Organic Ketchup


I would love to afford ketchup in a glass bottle but I'm on a budget and this is too expensive. Although super yummy its just too much. I was able to make this in no time and I had all the ingredients already in my kitchen.  Organic is optional for this just use what you have.

Ketchup

1 6oz organic tomato paste
1/2 cup honey or agave
1/4 cup of organic vinegar
1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of water
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of organic onion powder or 1 tbsp of grated organic fresh onion.

Put all ingredients into a pot and heat till a rolling boil.  Turn heat to low and let cook for 30 minutes.  Taste and alternate to your taste buds. I prefer more salt so I added more.

Stays fresh in the fridge for over a month.  I like to put it into small mason jars and freeze.  Last up to a year in the freezer.  We don't eat much ketchup and I usually only use it when I make meat loaf.  This works out perfectly for us.

Enjoy!

No comments: